As of recently, (particularly as some may have seen in the discord discussion over this past weekend), the team has noticed that there is some confusion about our policies and processes surrounding intellectual property and how it relates to Sansar commerce. We’d like to take this opportunity to reiterate and clarify Linden Lab’s official and legal stance on the matter for the community, to clear up any confusion on the matter!
- We have a DMCA complaint forum readily available on the Lab website for IP holders to access and utilize at their will.
- We respond to DMCA complaint submissions in full compliance with applicable laws
- We are not legally obligated to proactively make takedown decisions for IP holders, and that is written into our TOS.
- It is incumbent on IP holders to enforce their protections, and several of them withhold execution of those protections for their own reasons which we are not privy to -- such as cheap, free, grassroots or crowd-sourced advertising, allowing for interesting or unique fan creations, etc.
- If a user chooses to make content that utilizes another entity's IP, they do so at their own risk. Items may be taken down, or they may face issues if the IP holder chooses to pursue legal action.
If you have any additional questions surrounding our policies, please feel free to take a look at our content guidelines and terms of service.