When working with an object in a scene, you can add grab points, which define the position and orientation of the object in an avatar's hand when they pick it up in VR or Desktop mode. This is helpful for ensuring that handheld objects such as weapons, tools, and other handheld accessories snap into the correct orientation as soon as they're held.
To add grab points to an object while editing a scene:
- Make sure the Scene Objects panel is visible. You can toggle the Scene Objects panel by choosing Tools > Scene objects.
- Right-click the object's name in the Scene Objects panel and choose Add > Grab Points.
- A Right grab point and Left grab point are added to the object's Object Structure, and appear in the center of the object as hand-shaped markers.
In addition to adding grab points, you must set the object's Can grab property to On. If the object has a collision volume, its Motion Type must be set to either Dynamic or Keyframed.
|Note: The Right grab point and Left grab point correspond to the use of right and left VR controllers. If an avatar picks up the object while in Desktop mode, the Right grab point is used by default.|
|To add grab points to an object, select it in the Scene Objects panel and choose Add > Grab Points.||In order for avatars to be able to grab the object when visiting the scene, the object's Can Grab property must be set to On. If the object has a collision volume, its Motion Type must be Keyframed or Dynamic.|
To adjust the position of grab points on an object while editing a scene:
- To select a grab point, you can either click its hand-shaped marker in the scene or select it in the Object Structure panel, which can be opened by right-clicking the object in the Scene Objects panel and choosing Structure.
- Use the colored handles to adjust the position and rotation of each grab point. When an avatar picks up the object, it will assume the same position and orientation in the avatar's hand as indicated by the hand marker.
|Note: When you first add grab points to an object, they appear in the center of the object, which may make them difficult to select. Try using the Object Structure panel to select each grab point.|
|Selecting a grab point in the Object Structure panel.||Left grab point is selected. Use the colored handles to adjust its position and rotation.|
To grab an object that has defined grab points:
- You may grab an object with grab points as you would any other grabbable object:
- Desktop mode - Move your avatar close to the object, then left-click it to place the object in your avatar's right hand. Click and hold, then release to throw the object.
- VR mode - Move your avatar close to the object, then point at it with the left or right VR controller and press the grip button. Release the grip button to release the object.
- If an object has defined grab points, they are highlighted as white circles on the object when you are close enough to grab it.
|Reaching for an object with defined grab points. The white circle indicates where your avatar will grab the object.||Grabbing the object. Note that it has snapped to a position and rotation in the avatar's hand as specified by the grab point.|